Saturday 8 November 2014

spoke too soon

Jo and I sat and actually did some Italian today which felt good. She learns very fast, being fluent in French; I'm sure it helps. I popped out to the local shops in the evening slot, when they open again from about 4 til 8. It is a nice time actually, to be out browsing - it feels quite busy. I struggled through a few exchanges with shop assistants, including one with the guy whose shop I pass daily on way to school. We are now at last on speaking terms, although I'm never sure quite what form of address to use to him. Jo is sensible and reminded me of what my mother says - use back to them what they say to you. Which is ok if you hear it, or if they speak first. Anyway, he used a bit of English too and made out his English was awful - I couldn't detect anything wrong with it. I wanted to get some chocolates as a thank you for the boot incident on Friday - everything seemed very expensive in his shop, but not seeing any alternatives in my price range, I let him talk me into buying some chocolates - he'd already started wrapping them actually. I thought, if I want to make friends I will have to buy things in people's shops. But then all such items seem expensive round here. We left with him suggesting we swap English and Italian with each other. Perfect. Especially as he reminds me of Steve and Mikel Urdangarin mixed together. Oh and he's younger than I thought he was too.

So I arrived back home feeling that things might finally be looking up; although in very small steps. I mean it's fine, I'm not complaining really. But I allowed this tiny thought of happiness too much free rein because in the next second, as I was washing up, I heard a clunk and a gush and to my unbridled delight I found part of the sink had come off in the cupboard below and water was filling the cupboard. Mopping it up put paid to my latest whim of retraining as a plumber. I hitched up my new cheap jeans (€12) from the Chinese shop, and broke the bit the belt goes through. Of course I did, because nothing can go right for too long haha. Out of all the things I did not bring, a needle and thread would have been useful and I bet would not have  put me over my weight limit either :)

No comments:

Post a Comment