Sunday 8 March 2015

dreaming spires

It has gone back to raining a lot, which is boring. I tried to use the day to do useful things, like looking up information about a student I have who is clearly different to the other students. Looking online it seems likely she has something like ADHD, something I knew nothing about. ADHD makes it harder for the person to concentrate on things for very long and they find it easier to learn in some ways than others, for example, using visual learning rather than writing and reading. Luckily I found a whole paper written by a EFL teacher, who had had experience of students with ADHD and suggested many ways of teaching in order to make their experience more fulfilling.

I have been enjoying watching episodes of Inspector Morse - I have never seen that many of them but seeing Oxford makes me feel happy, as I really liked living there, over two short periods. The first was two years ago, for the wonderful CELTA course, and the second was summer 2013, when I tried TEFL teaching for the first time, less successfully than now. However, I did meet Clare and Tom there, and I saw red kites fly overhead regularly. I felt very happy in Oxford, it is a lovely city with a friendly feel to it and, although it was swarming with tourists, it always felt like a comfortable place to be. Sadly, very expensive, and still far from family, but perhaps one day I will be able to go back. I enjoy catching a glimpse of a few places I recognise when I am watching the programme.

Last weekend I went to the Castello Ursino, which is now a museum and art gallery. More on that next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment