Monday 12 May 2014

Colerne and Ditteridge

Having been far in our recent travels, into Gloucestershire, we stayed local this weekend by visiting nearby Colerne and Ditteridge. (We still had to stock up on lunch snacks. Drawing requires energy).  We had visited these churches together last year but I was not into drawing things then so this time it was more memorable.
Colerne church has two parts of a Saxon cross, associated with St Aldhem's burial in Malmesbury abbey in 709AD. They are set into the wall of the church, having been found in the 1800s. It means they could be 1200 years old, which is astonishing. Both were well worn. It was hard to see what was shown on one of them, but both had interlacing figures or designs, which were quite complex. The one we chose to draw was clearer to see: it depicts two dragons, with ridged bodies and long legs that inter-weave. They appear to be biting tails as well, and I thought I could see a hint of a wing at the end of one body - but a few of the details had to be imagined, particularly for the drawing. I enjoyed drawing something quite challenging, trying to show accurately how the legs crossed over and under each other. That forced me to look properly before applying pen to paper and we stood there for quite some time (as swifts screamed outside.) Once we were home, we both realised that if we turned the dragons on their side, the drawing was symmetrical and it was much easier to see what was in the picture. We decided that it would make more sense if the stone was on its side and that originally it was probably ninety degrees to how it is currently presented.
                  Dragons on their side in Colerne
    Dragons at 90 degrees
  Then we went on to nearby Ditteridge, which continued the recurring dragon theme. Here were two dragons on the top of columns either side of the door. Facing inwards, between the door posts, were two faces, one with a curly beard. I drew both dragons, and am thinking I would quite like to do a larger piece of art with dragons as the theme.  The one on the left reminded me of the one at Harnhill, as neither of them seem to have back legs. I particularly liked how this one curved and I am pleased with my drawing.


                            Ditteridge dragon

font, Ditteridge
We had to shelter inside the church as the heavens opened (there I go again with the biblical language), and there is a lovely Norman font with circles and lines on it which I rather liked. My sister also liked the thin Norman window which had bright colours and criss crossing patterns. She has taken inspiration from our previous trip to Steeple Langford to produce a large piece of artwork, based on the designs around the Norman font there. I am impressed by its boldness and how well it evokes the sturdiness of the original stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment